1.20.2009

Fitness is a phase you pass through...

"Fitness is a phase you pass through on the way to becoming a runner." - George Sheehan

Last night as I ran, I was thinking about all the various reasons that I run and what running has become to me, why I have a passion to continue with my running journey and go beyond the bounds of what most people would consider sane. I was thinking about the finish line of my upcoming half marathon and what it would feel like to cross that finish line, how many milestones and accomplishments that I would have had to reach along the way to get there, and the people in my life who cheered me on each step of the way as well as the people who told me that I must be crazy to do this.

It seemed appropriate, then, to get the quote above from Runner's World today, because the answer to the question "why do I run" is that running has become more to mean than just a means to an end. Running is more than just burning calories in an effort to lose more weight, or to maintain a steady weight. Running is more than an attempt to be in good shape. Running is about shaping my mind, more than about shaping my body. Running is about clearling my mind and focusing my energy on the task in front of me. Running is letting go of the outside world for the time that I'm on the road and knowing that it's okay to focus on my own needs for that period of time. Running is learning to take care of my body by controlling how I treat my body and what I put into it. Running is knowing that the only things standing between me and my goals are my own fears and doubts, and that through my strength, perserverance, and dedication that I can overcome those doubts and fears and accomplish anything. Running is being thankful, every day, for the ability to do something that I never thought I could do. And running is community and support and encouragement from other runners who are always willing to lend a kind word of support or encouragement when it is most needed.

The more I talk to runners, the more people I meet who feel that running is more than just fitness. I think that's what keeps runners going even when things get difficult, when we have to fight through injury, and when we have runs that make us want to quit. We don't run because we're crazy - we run because we're runners.

1 comment:

  1. Words! Well put, as you I well agree, sounds like this post was inspired by a just incredible conversation with a fellow runner ;) I heart you! Let's make t-shirts.

    ReplyDelete