1.29.2009

Exercise is forced

"Exercise is done against one's wishes and maintained only because the alternative is worse." -- GEORGE SHEEHAN

This is my Runner's World quote of the day, but I think that this really applies to more than just running. It applies to all of the activities that we do every day to keep our bodies healthy and strong. I started and stopped running several times before getting back into it last fall. Most of the times that I started, I started because I felt like I needed to be doing something extra to burn calories, although sometimes it was because I wanted to run in a particular race. But every time I stopped, it was because I just didn't enjoy running anymore, whether that was because I was unhappy with my progress or I was tired of fighting poor weather conditions to do something I didn't like that much in the first place.

The only reason that I've been able to continue running consistently since last fall, and the only reason that I've been able to decide to train for a half marathon and marathon, is that I finally found my joy in running. It has a lot to do with finding two amazing running partners who encourage me, challenge me on good days, and support me on bad days. But it also has a lot to do with accepting my own limitations and realizing that I can only be as good as I can be on any given day - I have to run my own race, and not anyone else's.

When we find the joy in what we do, whether it's running or walking or yoga or spinning or swimming or any other activity, it's no longer "exercise." It's fun. And maybe it even becomes a way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment