Okay, two things here in this post - one, this is my last post before the Disneyland Half Marathon this weekend. Two, in honor of the Disneyland Half Marathon I've decided to give you all what you've been waiting for -- FREE STUFF!!!!! (Applause, applause). That's right folks, it's the Running Lawyer's first EVER super-duper fantastic free stuff giveaway! More on that to follow.
The title of the blog post is a line from a song that I've decided is my mantra for this upcoming race. As I've mentioned, training this summer has gone anything but smoothly for me. I've learned that my body really can't stand heat and humidity when running. I've also had some other "issues" that I will not discuss, although some of you (worm and dork) have already had to listen to the gory details. Needless to say, I'm not feeling very prepared to hit the PR goal I set for myself four months ago. This has been frustrating. Instead of feeling like my training has left me fresh and ready to tackle this challenge, for the most part I feel like my training this summer left me with very little self-respect as a runner.
So here's where the line from the song comes in - dust off your butt and get your self respect back. Yes, training has been bad this summer. Yes, I'm probably in no position to get that PR. Yes, I may not even be in a position to beat my last half marathon time, period. But am I going to let that diminish my spirits about this race? No. Am I going to let my time dictate whether or not I enjoy this race? Absolutely not. I'm going to go do this race, I'm going to high-five every single little kid I can find along the course, I'm going to soak in the scenery (which should be awesome), I'm going to cheer on all my other friends running the race, I'm going to get my two medals at the end and then I'm going to wear them around for the rest of the day like a true running dork.
Bottom line is, the self respect is coming back RIGHT NOW. We all go through tough times as runners, we all face difficulties in training, we all face injuries, we all go through low periods where we doubt ourselves and wonder why we keep doing this. But in the end, we're still runners and we'll still cross that finish line.
But what about the GIVEAWAY, Running Lawyer, you say?? Well, it's simple - I'm going to send one lucky reader something really cool from Disneyland. It may be a hat, it may be a shirt, it may be something entirely different - it's going to be whatever my pretty little head picks out while I'm shopping this weekend. Needless to say, because it's coming from me it will be AWESOME. So how do you earn entries?? Here's how:
1. Become a follower! Drop me a comment to let me know you're new!!
2. Give me some inspiration for my upcoming race - leave me a quote, a good song, an inspiring story - anything! I'll give you up to 5 entries, I need some motiviation here, people!
3. Leave me a comment with the name of the song the line is from - no cheating by looking at other comments! :)
4. Shout it out! Link me up on your blog, leave me a comment so I can stop by and check it out.
You have until Tuesday the 8th to get your entries in, I'll be announcing a winner (and my race report) next Wednesday morning!
Legal ease (what did you expect? I am a lawyer!): family members of the Running Lawyer not eligible. Sorry, but you'll get your own gifts from Disneyland!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Love that: "dust off your butt and get your self respect back." So great. Give yourself a high-five!
ReplyDeleteMy FAVE running mantra is Run Your Own Race. Go out there and do that in your half and you'll do great!
I'm a follower :)
It's Disneyland - you're meant to have a fantastic time! If if you can't run your fastest time, you can shoot for the most fun experience! Best of luck!
ReplyDeleteI am a HAPPY Follower, well now that you are back and accepting comments again...
ReplyDeleteOne of my favorite quotes:
ReplyDelete"The Only Way to define your limits is to go beyond them." Unknown
From your post it sounds like you are not looking to test your physical limits but to test the limits you have put on yourself in past race. DEFINE The race with FUn and make it your own.
Michael Jackson....REALLY?? Well if I were a MJ fan I would respond with the following lyrics..
ReplyDelete"I'm gonna make a change for once in my life, it's gonna feel real good, gonna make a difference, gonna make it right..."
Link to come tonight... Will come back and give you the link..
ReplyDeleteHey are you going to dress up like a Disney Princess?
Love this quote too:
ReplyDelete"When people ask me why I run, I tell them, there's not really a reason, it's just the adrenalin when you start, and the feeling when you cross that finish line, and know that you are a winner no matter what place you got."
Courtney Parsons
OK Looked for a quote on Princesses and found this...thought it SORTA applied...
ReplyDelete“I love that whole princess mentality, but I also like throwing my hair in a ponytail and just wearing jeans, going on a hike and then eating a big chili-cheeseburger.”
Jennifer Love Hewitt
*Yes I like J-Love...I frequent Ghost Whisperer...bad I know..
And Another...
ReplyDelete"I always loved running... it was something you could do by yourself, and under your own power. You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs."
Jesse Owens
Good luck on your half!! I am a happy follower!
ReplyDeleteI put a link to your blog/giveaway on my blog (http://ihaverun.blogspot.com)!
ReplyDeleteI'm a new follower.
ReplyDelete"In running,it doesn't matter whether you come in first, in the middle of the pack, or last. You can, 'I have finished'. There is a lot of satisfaction in that." Fred Lebow, NYC Marathon co-founder
ReplyDeleteI put a link to your giveaway on my blog.
ReplyDeleteUm, caaarrrap! I don't know if I've got the time to be competitive in this giveaway...some serious competition already! So do your old followers get the entry love or no?
ReplyDeleteHere's something to remember. The runner that shows up at the starting line does not know the runner that has had months of training difficulties. Race day runner could not pick training runner out of a crowd if she was asked. Race day runner is fundamentally different than the woman you know any other day of the year. She is pumped. She is ready. She is focused. And the only thing on her mind is the sound of the starting gun...the bodies in front of her...the footsteps behind her...the beat of her heart...the sound of her breath. Race day runner lives in the moment and performs to the best of her ability. She acts on instinct alone. And once race day runner crosses the finish line, her job is done and she fades away until called upon again.
ReplyDeleteSo when you're getting anxious in the days ahead, remember to relax...because someone else is going to run that race for you. And rest assured, she WILL kick ass.
hey there. new to your blog by way of Mel @ Tall Mom on the Run. Just became a follower. I love how you put the little Legal Ease at the bottom. I work for two lawyers and everything always has to have some kind of fine print. lol.
ReplyDeletemy motivational quote for you is one I have on my RoadId:
Pain is Temporary, Finishing is FOREVER!
I saw this at the first marathon I ran:
ReplyDelete"Start off slow then taper."
LOL
I'm already a follower! :)
Hey there! Just surfed over from Tall Mom and became a follower!
ReplyDeleteGood luck at the Disneyland HM!
Here are a couple of quotes I like:
ReplyDeletePain is temporary, quitting is forever. (Lance Armstrong)
And for your half marathon:
A half marathon is just a 5K race with a 10 mile warm-up. (Unknown)
Love that lyric! It's Michael Jackson - Keep the Faith! And to prove I didn't cheat ... :) .... here's another line I like;
ReplyDeleteBelieve In Yourself
No Matter What It's Gon' Take
You Can Be A Winner
But You Got
To Keep The Faith
I'm a new-ish follower. Keeping the MJ theme, here is my inspiration for you...
ReplyDelete"You Better Run, You Better Do What You Can
Don't Wanna See No Blood, Don't Be A Macho Man
You Wanna Be Tough, Better Do What You Can
So Beat It, But You Wanna Be Bad
Just Beat It, Beat It, Beat It, Beat It
No One Wants To Be Defeated
Showin' How Funky Strong Is Your Fighter
It Doesn't Matter Who's Wrong Or Right
Just Beat It, Beat It
Just Beat It, Beat It
Just Beat It, Beat It
Just Beat It, Beat It"
Do I (Worm) count as a "family member"?? ;) I so love how I've earned the nick name of Worm....LOL.
ReplyDeleteI would like you to use the following song as inspiration during the race. It has reached out and touched my heart many, many times: "MOVE, B!$#%, get out the way!" Gotta love Ludacris! ;)
GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND!!!!!!! I'll be waiting anxiously for your text!!! :)
apparently i count as a family member, geeezz you have more comments on your contest already than i did on mine in a week. i'm quite looking forward to my DL gift, although i'd still prefer to actaully be going with you. however your mom probably doesn't want to have to worry about BOTH of us ;)
ReplyDeleteoh and good luck of course. i have a feeling you are going to be surprised at how well you do. this is your race my friend.
I am a new follower.
ReplyDeleteGood luck on your race. The Disney full marathon was my first and has a special place in my heart. Disney really knows how to put on a race and a memorable experience. Have fun and smile for the camera!
ReplyDeleteAhhhhhhh!!!! Effin Google! Just wiped out my big ass comment. I don't have the time and effort to re-write. I'll get you a link up on my blog today.
ReplyDeleteHi, I linked over from Tall Mom on the Run. It sounds like you've got the right attitude for heading into the race. You'll be at Disney... have fun and celebrate!!!
ReplyDeleteI don't need a contest entry because I'll actually be there this weekend too, also going for the Coast to Coast medal. But I just wanted to let you know you have a new follower and I look forward to reading your thoughts about the race.
You've been linked! Chalk up another entry for old Markus.
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to say good luck. I am indeed a follower as you're in my google reader. hope you have a fantastic time!
ReplyDeleteOkay, so I forgot you left today and I meant to wish you GOOD LUCK again before you left....so I'm doing it here! And I left you a shouty shout in my blog cuz I luvs ya!!!!! Have a great time and I can't wait to hear all about it! You better text me on Sunday!!!!!!!! OR ELSE!!!! ;)
ReplyDeleteI got Ashley's shouty shout from her blog and just stopped by to wish you best of luck for a great race and a great trip to Disneyland. Remember, it is not your time in the race that counts so much as your time at the race. From reading your blog, you have that spirit. Hi-five those kids! Have a blast! Art
ReplyDeleteI need more of your spirit (I've been letting a mediocre summer training just bring me down).
ReplyDeleteHave a great great time & good luck!
Good Luck! I am a new reader and follower!
ReplyDeleteHey Izzy! Hope you had an amazing race! Want to hear all the details!
ReplyDeleteI'm officially a follower, and I've got you in my blogroll. I can't wait to hear all about the big race!!!!
ReplyDeleteJust started following your blog (too late to wish you good luck in the Disneyland half), and I'm really enjoying it. I also ran the Disneyland half marathon on Sunday (my first race of any kind) and had a blast.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I'm not sure if you have selected your next marathon yet, but the L.A. marathon just opened registration on Sept. 1. It's March 21, and apparently they've changed the course so you run from Dodger Stadium, through Hollywood and Beverly Hills, and then to the beach. People here seem quite excited about it.