6.17.2009

Let me go on, like a blister in the sun

I happily existed in the land of non-injured runners for about a month before my marathon in April, and miraculously made it through the marathon with no injuries to speak of. Somewhere in the weeks after, though, between gradually building back up to weekend long runs and my lame attempts to do speed work and hills, I've re-entered the running injury twilight zone. If it's not one thing, it's another. For one thing, my right hip has been bothering me on and off for the last few weeks. Not seriously enough for me to break down and call the PT, but just enough to be annoying on my longer runs. My right foot decided it needed to get in the game as well, and has been aching on and off. I mostly attribute this to some poor advice from an orthopedic "specialist" who looked at my foot for no more than 5 seconds and told me that I needed to switch shoes (when I had run in my Asics 2140s for years with no problems).


Well, my problem last night on my three-miler was not my right hip nor my right foot, nor even the 90+ degree temperatures and soup-like consistency of the atmosphere. It was the giant, quarter-sized, angry, red, possibly infected blister that appeared on the inside of my right heel somewhere toward the end of last week. It started off innocently enough, a tiny blister caused by my shoe rubbing a bit on that heel. I've had these before, so I wasn't very concerned about it. But last weekend's 10k race followed up by a 10 miler the next day turned that thing into a complete monster, the blister to end all blisters.


And yet, because I'm not smart enough to know what's good for myself, I took myself and the monster blister out for a three-mile run last night in the aforementioned disgustingly hot, nasty weather. Not without precaution, though, I did cover up the monster with a Band-Aid blister ampule, which I think is one of the best things ever invented for blisters:


I also duct-taped over the offending portion of my shoe and body-glided my foot, my sock, AND my shoe. This worked for about the first mile and a half. After that, I realized the band-aid was starting to slip and I was sweating so much the body glide wasn't about to do me any good. Long story short, despite my best attempts to keep it from happening my three miler tore that blister wide open. Which felt really awesome when I got in the shower. I was about to take a picture of the sucker and post it on here, but I think it might violate Blogger's prohibition of obscene materials.
Which leads me to my question for the day - I love the Band-Aid blister ampules (and have also used some sport-specific bandages that are very similar) but I have never been able to get them or any other type of bandage to stay on during a run long enough to do me any good. I once tried to duct tape over the band-aid on the suggestion of someone at the running store, but the duct tape just tore up my skin. Does anyone out there have any suggestion on how to treat running blisters and how to protect them during a run?

16 comments:

  1. I've used the white sports tape with some success in the past, although other times it has actually created additional blisters. Those heel blisters are a Bitch (<- with a capital 'B'). And to hell with the knarliness, post that picture anyway - you earned it, let everyone see your pain :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm ouch! I have no advice, I am deathly allergic to adhesive so I am not exactly a bandaid connoisseur. I hope it gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a duct tape fan. Prior to blistering, if I have a spot that I think will blister, duct tape over it. My feel sweat enough that it just comes off easily with my sock at the end. If I already have a blister, I remember putting a piece of paper towel in between the blister and the duct tape, so it doesn't stick to the actual blister, just the rest of my foot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh I never knew they made those blister things! I need to go out and get some, these blisters from my silly barefoot sand run are KILLING me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sucks. And, I have no advice for you! It's been a while since I have gotten blisters from running, and when I did, I used it as an excuse to spend more time on the bike or in the pool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you ever tried moleskin? Might work, but not sure with the temps you are running in. I used to SUFFER from HUGE blisters but since I got my expensive shoes and insoles I have been...not going to type it or the evel blisters Gods will get me.. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no good blister advice, but those blister bandages help as long as they stay on. My husband loves those! I haven't had a blister since I've switched the shoes and socks I was wearing. I like the suggestion of moleskin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I duct tape them too, because I am afraid to pop them. I don't get too many of them, so I've no constructive advice, sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. blisters suck...i'll have to try those band aids...duct tape works too...
    hey, dallas has been added to the rock and roll series...half marathon next march right around spring break...i'm putting it on my calendar...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes!! I am very excited about all of these tips - great question! I get so many blisters and never know what to do with them. I cant wait to try duct tape! :)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yikes, blisters. No good answer as far as I know. I choose cushier socks, try to stay barefoot around the house (lets feet air out) and avoid the offensive shoes for a while. I have actually had to ditch two new pair of shoes because of blister inducing qualities. I took a nasty picture of these enormous heel blisters that I was going to put up, but then I thouhgt, my feet aren't exactly model quality to begin with and two big blisters doesn't make them any more appealing. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. FYI... Giveaway/contest on My Blog today.. Don't want you to miss it, you have until Monday morning to enter. Have a GREAT weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've had nasty blisters in my past, but however two things have kept me blister free for several months now. Moleskin as mentioned above or 2nd Skin.(this product puts a firm stick pad on the blister and has something like a band-aid to hold it in place. The blisters don't hurt or pop and the bandage and pad don't move. You can get down at 1st gear in Wichita. Also sport slick is better than body glide.. comes in a tube also at 1st gear.(for after it goes away to prevent new ones.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. ok you are the Vidazorb winner, so email me your addy and I'll send it out! post coming this afternoon

    amandacbrooks at yahoo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ouch! Duct tape usually does the trick for me.... but since that didn't seem to work for you, I'm not too sure.
    I feel ya on the "if its not one thing, its another" on the body parts hurting. My pain likes to migrate around on my body too.
    BTW I just found your blog, and I'm excited to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmmmm 5 weeks since your last post of Bloggy Communication? I have devised a list of reasons why my Bloggy buddy the "Running Lawyer" has not blogged, nor dropped comments on her bloggy friend's pages:

    1. She fell down a well and is yelling...but no one can hear her.

    2. She lead Lawyer on a Top Secret Case and her internet use would put the case at risk.

    3. She travelled to far away lands where using the computer is forbidden.

    4. She is running miles and miles across the USA like Forrest Gump. (If that is the case please contact someone who can Blog about your progress)

    5. Aliens (enough said)

    6. She lost the use of her fingers in a freak Slurpee accident.

    7. Her extreme blisters caused a rare condition with amnesia as a side affect, she has no idea that she was once a Blogger.

    8. She is Prego??? Hmmm I think I will start that Rumor around Bloggy land.

    9. She has a life...

    10. She no longer likes the Bloggy world or her Bloggy friends (SAD!!)

    If any of the above have happened I am TRULY sorry :) You are missed!! FYI FWR hooked me up with your Facebook info so I can pester you until you give up... Your Bloggy strike can come to an end any day, I have loads of topics if you need one to get you going...

    With love :)

    Mel

    ReplyDelete