I lie here paralytic, inside this soul.
Screaming for you til my throat is numb.
I wanna break out, I need a way out.
I don't believe that it's gotta be this way.
The worst is the waiting,
in this womb I'm suffocating.
Feel your presence, filling up my lungs with oxygen.
I breathe you in.
I die.
Rebirthing now;
wanna live for love, wanna live for you and me.
Breathe for the first time now,
I come to life somehow.
Skillet, "Rebirthing"
Happy Valentine's Day, everyone! And now, a Valentine's Day poem:
Roses are red,
Violets are pretty,
I'm gonna own this marathon in Oklahoma City.
I knew that at some point all the weeks of craziness, the cross-training, the calorie counting, the new training plan and the committment to speed work were going to pay off sometime, or at least I HOPED it was going to pay off sometime, and was I ever right. Week 6 was a fantastic running week for me. I may be getting ahead of myself, seeing as I've got 10 weeks left to go in this plan, but if the rest of marathon training can go this well I have no doubt that marathon #2 in Oklahoma City will provide redemption in a big way.
Earlier in the week, I thought the highlight of this post was going to be how well my mile repeats went this week. I used to LOATHE speed work of any variety. I will now say something I thought I'd never say: I love mile repeats. Mile repeats are my FAVORITE. Largely because my splits this week looked like this:
Mile 1 - 8:21 (yeah, not even close to fast for some, but for me - holy cow!)
Mile 2 - 8:22 (where is this coming from?!)
Mile 3 - 8:12 (%$*%^@%$#@!)
I've never run that fast in my life - in the past, maybe I could put up that time for one mile, but the miles after that sure wouldn't have come anywhere close. But not only did I keep it up for all 3 repeats, I managed to make the last my fastest! Major accomplishment for this speed work hater.
I was feeling so good this week, I threw in an extra 2 mile run on Friday just for the heck of it...I figured it would be a good warm-up for Saturday's 18 mile run. And that was a good strategy, because Saturday's 18 mile run was probably one of the best long runs of my life. Not only was it a beautiful day, with no wind, my legs held up really well to those 18 miles and I made it through the entire run without a single walk break. Again, not much of an accomplishment to a lot of people, but for me, this is huge - I don't think I had a single training run over 16 miles before my last marathon where I didn't stop and walk at least a few times. And I'm thrilled today that other than a little soreness in my hips, I seem to have recovered from the run rather well.
Those 18 miles are a huge confidence boost for my 20 mile run next weekend...I'm sort of looking forward to the challenge now, rather than dreading it entirely. I'm hoping that I get another nice weather day - my birthday is the 18th, so another non-windy day for my first 20 mile run of this training plan would be a fantastic birthday present.
Week 6 runs:
Run 1 - 2 miles easy
Run 2 - 6 miles total; 3x1600 repeats at 8:21, 8:22, 8:12
Run 3 - 2 miles easy
Run 4 - 18 miles long
Week 7 is 2 miles easy, a 6 mile tempo run, and then a big 20 miles in celebration of my birthday!
2.14.2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Wow good work. How many 20 milers are you going to do this training cycle? Which plan are you using? My friend Amanda is Running Oklahoma city as her first Marathon. She has a blog 5 Miles to Empty :)
ReplyDeleteNice work with your training this past week! Lookin' good, girl!
ReplyDeleteholy cow, that's super fast! you're doing great on your training.
ReplyDeleteWay to go! That is great! I would be thrilled with 8-something mile repeats. You rock!
ReplyDeleteWasn't Saturday perfect? I had a 6-miler with Team in Training at Sedgwick Co. Park and the time flew by. I was so thankful the wind waited until Sunday...holy cow!
Have a great week!
Woot, Woot!!! Yey, most excellent job on the runs!!! You are gonna kick that marathon's butt:) and leave last year in the dust for SURE. I'm sure the 20miler will be great and will be a great birthday present of a run. Have an awesome birthday week.
ReplyDeleteThe excitement of beginning a new cycle!!! Take it one moment at a time and allow that success to come closer and closer until, finally you take that final step to success!!!!!
ReplyDeleteglad you had such a great week of training....keep it up! OKC better look out for you...
ReplyDeleteYou're putting me to shame here. Of course I would like to think that my 18 would have been easier if I'd run it on Saturday instead of that windy snow storm on Sunday. Regardless of why mine sucked, you're clearly kicking some ass. Nice work.
ReplyDeleteWow! Great job on your runs. And, you're speedy!
ReplyDeleteWell, good luck with the training. Remember the good weeks and runs when you have a bd one. The good ones keep us going!
ReplyDeleteYou had one heck of a week there, friend!!! Much better than mine....that stupid sub zero race on Sunday broke my awesome running streak. Boo. But look at you - NICE WORK!!!!!
ReplyDelete