"When the gun shoots, you got to go." ATO BOLDON
I haven't done a Runner's World thought for awhile, but I liked this one because as of today, my first half marathon is five days away. FIVE DAYS. After several months of training, all the ups and downs, the good runs, the really bad runs, the cold weather running, the injuries, the physical therapy, the new injuries, more physical therapy, the two sinus infections, the stress fracture scare, and the road testing of multiple running skirt/short combinations, it's hard to believe that in five days it all comes down to something so simple - when the gun shoots, you got to go.
But in the end, it really is that simple. I like to think that I've done everything in my control to make sure that I'm ready for this race. Did I miss a couple of training runs? Yes. But I'm human. I've taken care of my body as best I know how, eating properly, hydrating properly, strength training, remaining as faithful to my regular yoga practice as possible, going to physical therapy, and allowing myself to rest when I was injured or sick. I hope that my dedication to my training plan and my efforts to take care of myself pay off on race day. The fact is, at this point there are a lot of variables out of my control. I can't control the weather, whether it's going to be 65 degrees or 85 degrees, sunny or cloudy, windy, or incredibly humid. I haven't trained in warm weather, and there's nothing I can do about that. I can't entirely control how my body will respond to the heat and humidity. I can't control the other runners or the fact that it will likely be congested during the first part of the race.
What can I control? Myself. When the gun shoots, I will go. I will put my heart, my soul, and my body into this race just as I've committed myself to my training for the last few months. I will run with everything I have. Whether I finish under my loftiest goal time or not, I will be proud of myself for finishing my first half marathon. I'll cross the finish line with a smile on my face, even if I feel pain. And I'll remember - when the gun shoots, I got to go.
3.03.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


All I have for you are two words: Lawyers Rock! You are going to have a blast and will be so glad you did this! Good luck... I still want to be packed in your suitcase.
ReplyDeleteGood luck!!!! On the bright side, I've heard the Disney course is relatively flat...so I hope that helps! :)
ReplyDelete