Those of you who've been following my foot saga probably know why I was feeling a little iffy about the 16 mile run I had planned yesterday. On top of the foot saga, I'm still trying to fight off the sinus infection I came down with just before last week's long run. I purposely ran at the park again so that I would never be too far away from my car if my foot started to hurt and I needed to stop running.
For the first four miles I was overly focused on my right foot, constantly analyzing every step, waiting to see if pain was going to start. But the first four miles were fine. After that, I started to relax a little more. At eight miles, I still had no pain in my foot and was feeling great. Around mile twelve my hips were starting to get a little tight on me, but nothing so bad that it affected my pace. At that point, I was just thrilled that I'd made it through the majority of my run without any stomach pains or cramps. As I set out for the last four miles of my run, I wasn't thinking about my sore hips or whether my foot was going to start hurting, I was just really, really excited that I was going to finish my 16 mile run. I think on those last four miles I experienced a little bit of the elusive "runners' high" - from mile 15 to mile 16, I was so ridiculously thrilled with myself that I wanted to sing along to my mp3 player out loud at the top of my lungs, even though my hips were really getting to me at that point.
Today I am S-O-R-E, but it feels amazing to get that run under my belt before the half marathon. Tomorrow I have to deal with a bone scan, but for today I'm just going to really enjoy the fact that I ran 16 miles yesterday.
2.23.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


YAY for 16, I'm gonna be there Sunday, we'll see how it goes. How was the bone scan? They took forever to get back to me on mine, like 3-4 days, it was brutal!
ReplyDelete