1.03.2010

How do you start a new year?

With a new training plan, of course. Tomorrow kicks off week 1 of training for marathon redemption in Oklahoma City on April 25. So I've promised myself, and am promising all of you out there who will still read my blog after my extended absence, that I will blog about my journey to marathon redemption at least once a week. I can't promise that it's always going to be witty, or entertaining, or even interesting, but I'll do my best.

So I'm trying out something new this time around - the training plan I've come up with only has me running three days a week. A recovery run, a tempo or speed run, and a long run. The plan has three 20 mile long runs built in - which seems like a really good idea right now, but I'm sure will not seem like such a good idea after I actually finish the first 20 mile run. Along the way I hope to work into my schedule at least one spin class a week, strength training a couple of times a week, and yoga as much as possible. Not to mention the ballet class that I take once a week. Needless to say, even though I'm only running three days a week I should have no problem keeping myself occupied on the other four days.

Week 1 will be fairly light - 6 mile easy run, 5 mile tempo run, and 10 mile long run next weekend. I'm pretty excited about this new plan and think that it could do good things for me. So I'll leave you until next week, bloggie land - the next time I'll check back in I'll let you know how week 1 went.

11 comments:

  1. i started my year of with a training plan too, but pretty easy going.

    see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 days a week?? Wow I am very anxious to see who this plan goes for you.. Welcome back to Bloggy land friend.. Have missed you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great way to start the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm doing OKC too! I'm soo excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to hear how it goes! Sounds like a fun plan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will be interested to read how 3 day a week goes. I like to run way more than that. but I do a lot of miles just for mileage because I often jump into a race rather last minute (maybe 4-6weeks out) so I keep my mileage up.

    Will you cross train in our "off" days?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooohh we are doing OKC, too!! Just the 1/2 though :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmmm...that plan sounds oddly familiar. Ohhhhh, that's right...same one I'm doing! I don't have enough confidence to leave it at 20 miles though. I think I'm going to stretch the longest run to 22 or 23. So good luck...and it's great to see you back on here....finallllllly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck on the new plan. I can't believe we are already into spring marathon training. The year goes by so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Running three days a week is a consistent plan, as long as you get in your long runs. Happy training! I think it will work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wooooah, my friend is back!!! :)

    I like training schedules with 3 days of running a week - I feel like it's not as hard on the body. But then again, I have a body that is not yet acclimated to running everyday...so it just works for me.

    GOOD LUCK!!! :)

    ReplyDelete